Unbound serves more than 18,000 sponsored children and elderly in Honduras. An Unbound mothers group there, the Faith and Hope mothers group, sells homemade hamburgers to those in their community. They made such amazing hamburgers that we had to get the recipe and share it with you, along with a special sauce they make to go with the burgers. Here is part one of the recipe!
The mothers make and sell these hamburgers, and their recipe makes 40 burgers! You may want to adjust the recipe based on how many hamburgers you plan to serve.
Time: 15-20 minutes
- 5 large dessert spoons of mayonnaise (smaller than a ladle)
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 3 large dessert spoons of ketchup
- 16 oz. of sugar
- 1 large white or red onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1-2 small pieces of parsley
- 1/2 liter (about 16 oz.) of milk
- 16 oz. of sour cream
- Dice the onion, parsley and bell pepper into small pieces and place in a blender or food processor.
- Next, add the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, milk and sour cream to the blender. Liquefy for about 3 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, you can add a bit of milk or water.
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: 6-12 minutes
Servings: Makes approximately 40 thin beef patties
- 8 pounds of ground beef
- 2-3 oz. of beef seasoning
- 1 large red tomato
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 small pieces of parsley
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 spoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of cumin
- 4 dessert spoons of mustard
- 2 pounds of flour
- Salt to taste
- Dice the tomato, bell pepper and parsley and pour into a blender/food processor. Liquefy for 2 minutes.
- Place beef in a large mixing bowl. Then, take the garlic cloves and smash them until they become a soft texture/paste. Add salt and mix garlic paste with beef.
Next, mix the beef with the beef seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, pepper and cumin. Then add the sauce from step one and mix thoroughly.
- Little by little, begin to add the flour to the meat.
Next, form the hamburger meat into patties.
Add a little butter to a frying pan and cook patties to desired temperature. These burgers may also be grilled.
- Once the patties are cooked thoroughly, place them on a plate with a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
Place patty on a bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, sauce, cheese and a bit more sauce. Serve, and enjoy!