By Veronica Batton, CFCA writer/editor
What’s one thing sponsored friends like to receive more than letters from their sponsors? Photos from their sponsors, of course!
Photos are a great way to show you care. Sponsored friends can look at a photo of their sponsor and know that someone, somewhere, is rooting for them to succeed.
My friend, Thilothammal in Chennai, India, has been asking me for a photo. Instead of sending her a regular photo of my husband and me, I decided to take my craft skills to the next level.
Get ready to love this.
D.I.Y.: Collage photo frame
(Difficulty level: super easy)
Paper frame (If you can’t find a pre-made paper frame, you can use a photo matte board.)
Glue or tape
A collection of photos
A photo of you holding your friend’s picture
2. Begin by collecting several photos of you, family members, scenery from around your home and things you love. (These photos will be placed around the frame.)
3. If your photos are digital and stored on a media device, like an SD card, then you can take your device to your local photo center and have your photos reprinted in wallet size. (Some photo centers have the option to upload and print your photos from Facebook.)
You can also use photos you already have and cut them to fit around the frame.
If you have a color printer, and don’t mind using a lot of ink, you can do what I did and print your wallet-size photos at home. I resized my photos to 2 inches by 2 inches, so they fit around the frame. (This step requires a bit of extra effort.)
4. Find your sponsored friend’s most recent photo and have someone take your picture holding his/her picture. Print this photo when you print your wallet-size photos.
5. Once you have all of your photos together, begin by gluing or taping them to the outside of the paper frame (see below). Your photos may overlap and some may be larger than others. That’s OK! It’s not supposed to be completely symmetrical.
6. Tape or glue photos around entire frame.
7. Take photo from step 4 and place inside paper frame.
8. Write your friend a letter. Explain in the letter that you are always here for support and will give encouragement every step of the way. Your friend can look at the collage photo frame you made and know that someone is surrounding him/her with love.
Love this idea? Let me know! I’d love to hear your D.I.Y. experience or if you have other ideas on ways to jazz up your photos.